On December 30, 1937, Dr. John A. Taylor, minister of First Methodist Church in Sebring, Florida, deeded 40 acres he owned in Avon Park, to Asbury College with the stipulation that the land be used for a holiness camp ground. Dr. John Taylor, Rev. James Green and Dr. Henry Clay Morrison made the dream a reality in 1939. In respect of Dr. Taylor’s generous donation, the tabernacle was named in his honor. Since its inception, the camp's mission has been to proclaim the doctrine of entire sanctification as a definite work of grace subsequent to regeneration.